Gas Safety

Gas safety is to blame for thousands of accidents all over the world. We sometimes take this little thing for granted without fully knowing the dangers of it. You should always use a registered gas installer for your home as little things such as the right type of tube can make all the difference in safety. The same registered gas installer should be the person who installs your gas cooker and do any other LPG related work in your kitchen.

When you have employed the services of an engineer, be sure to check his ID before they start your work. Check the Energy Market Authority of Singapore website https://elise.ema.gov.sg for the relevant Licensed Gas Service Workers.
 

Carbon Monoxide: The Invisible Danger
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be blamed for gas related fatality or illness. This gas is very difficult to detect because it is colourless and odourless. It is always advisable to run a series of simple checks regularly on your gas appliances. If you have faulty appliances or poor ventilation in your home, carbon monoxide can accumulate in your home. Solid fuels, oil or gas that is not burned completely can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. The most common cause however, is poorly maintained gas boilers. When carbon monoxide is present in the air, your body will absorb it and starve itself of oxygen. Nausea is the first thing you will feel with carbon monoxide poisoning. Brain damage comes next. In extreme cases, death can occur. The best thing you can do to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to get your appliances checked out by professionals at least twice a year. Buy and place at least one carbon monoxide alarm or indicator in your house. They are cheap and they are worth installing. Normal smoke alarms are not able to detect carbon monoxide.  

Spot the Signs

If you notice that your boiler or appliance is burning fuel with yellow or orange irregular flame, you should call a professional and qualified engineer to check this out immediately. The flame on your gas should always be a crisp blue or purple one. Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are nausea, tiredness, headaches, dry cough and/ or a sore throat. The moment you think you feel signs of carbon monoxide in your home, open up all the doors and windows and allow fresh air to circulate around the house. Turn off all appliances that use gas and call a doctor if you need help. Ensure an engineer is there immediately to check out your appliances.